Wednesday 5 August 2009

online presence @ work

At the creation of a professional networking tool on the internet some years ago, I was wondering what would be the impact of a public presence on such a tool. At that time, I decided to stay away from that. Wait and see.
Later, I joined, probably starting to think at a new job. Using a professional network to know about a company is so important and effective, that this is a must-do in these recession times (go sign-up if not already done).
Then I came to know facebook. Well, not for me. And I joined, since I can turn the access off to the public. Twitter? Microblogging. Fine. Not for me. Now I am in. Blogging ? ...

The presence on internet -or online presence- can be a very strong tool for Marketing or Public Relations professionals. Probably not an easy job to be everywhere or at least to identify the place with the best ROI, but for sure a new must-do.

However, not everyone is a marcomm employee, and one may not want to disclose his/her personal views, ideas or opinions in a public forum, for good reasons.

So, how to accommodate personal choice of online presence with a company that expect from you to leave a trace on the internet ?

My answer is that the presence on internet have a wide variety of forms. From pure technical questions and answers in dedicated forums, up to blogging personal ideas and positions, or even description of "what are you doing ?", there are lot of ways to be there.

Managers with online presence expectations must have take a reasonable approach, depending on employees willingness to be "present".

Philippe

No comments:

Post a Comment